Today we’ll talk about two recent projects we tackled to spruce up our yard: a new fence and a new wall!
We’ll start with the fence. Ours was damaged during Hurricane Irma, so we finally got around to addressing it. As you can see, it was in pretty bad shape. We had it propped up with leftover posts and held up at one corner by a wire hanger!
You can see the post propping it up here as well as the wire hanger rig.
We didn’t do the work ourselves, so I won’t say too much more about it except that our contractor was fantastic and look how great it looks now!
We have a lot more planned for the backyard, so stay tuned.
The wall we did ourselves. It looked pretty sparse before. I had been taking note of what some of our other neighbors had done, since we live in one of those neighborhoods where the houses look pretty much the same, and I fell in love with these concrete bricks with the rough finish.
The project itself was fairly easy. We just stacked the bricks in a semicircle. They were precut at an angle, so they lined right up. The only issue we ran into was a large tree root that had to be cut so the blocks would lay level. Owen’s dad hacked away at it with a chainsaw and it still took over an hour to cut back the one root. You can see it on the right side of this photo.
Here’s the final product. I’m so happy with how it turned out! Of course, Owen supervised the whole project, until the chainsaw came out which is when Owen and I left Owen’s dad working while we had lunch.
That’s all for now. We’ve been working on our front garden, so we’ll be posting our progress on that soon. Thanks for reading!